Sunday 28 October 2012

Listening Club - 28th October 2012

Good hello to you all,

Unlike last week's brief musing on the ol' elasticity of time, this week I can say with certainty that a particularly big chunk of time has now passed, as we here in jolly old Britain make the transition from British Summer Time back to plain old Grey-and-Miserable Time (see what I did there?), so those of you from outside these shores should check the changes in timezones and plan accordingly. We'd hate for you to be out of sync with the rest of us, y'know.

Last week, as you should recall, we bade farewell (from these shores, anyway) to @MonkeyTypes, as he paused packing his life up into boxes to supply us all with a suitably Teutonic soundtrack (given his new locale), Einstürzende Neubauten's "Tabula Rasa" from 1993, which rattled everyone's cages with the er... sound of rattling cages. Fine work from Blixa & Co, and very much appreciated. Thanks to @MonkeyTypes for the pick, and for skimming the LC frisbee (we really should make some of these as a merch item, don't you think?) across to @dingster for this week's selection. And here he is...

"Well Kev, thanks for the frisbee. Quite an act to follow given the enormity of the audio assault we had delivered to our aural receptors last Sunday.

This has obviously put ridiculous pressure on me to find a suitable follow up. I won't go in to the "usual panicked music listening on Monday morning trying to find a suitable shortlist that would hopefully be whittled down by Friday and then ultimately changed on Sunday anyway just before we mail Eric with the blurb you are currently reading" process. Wait a second...

Anyway, I actually spent a good deal of the week going back over past choices, hoping to find a glaring hole that had yet to be filled sonically. Obviously this proved to be fruitless from one perspective but exceptionally enjoyable as well. I'm not saying we've covered it all, but I think I can speak for everyone when I say we've had a very wide range of musical styles on a Sunday evening.

So, I should probably quit rambling, thank Eric for actually starting this and actually get on with what I want to say about the choice (thanks Eric!).

This is a fairly recent second studio album from a duo whose first offering was not quite what I was expecting, nor was I particularly impressed with it considering the calibre of those involved.

However, a few weeks ago a friend sent me a YouTube link featuring track 6 from this album as the new album preview track. And it piqued my interest a bit. Well, actually more than a bit, because it was nothing like the first album.

I've probably only listened to this a few times all the way through which is why I think this could be a fun one to share. I'm sure there are going to be people who HATE this with a passion, and I apologise for that in advance. But hopefully it will speak to a few of you. It is also weighs in at just over an houR, none of this 35 minute nonsense...

Anyhoo. Enough waffle. Let me just go find my riot shield and we'll get this show on the road."

There you go. Download is here (Dropbox link) or you can listen via Mixcloud here.

Start time, as I noted above, is 8pm GMT. Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.

Check your zones, and see you at eight!

No comments:

Post a Comment