Sunday 20 January 2013

Listening Club - 20th January 2013

Groeten aan jullie allemaal uit Amsterdam! Ik ben hier pas een week, maar het is verbazingwekkend hoe snel je pick-up van de taal!

No, really it is. Rest assured it's as frosty here as it apparently is in the UK, and probably most other places you folks are tuning in from. Kinda felt sorry for the catwalk models who gave an open air runway show in the park yesterday as part of Amsterdam Fashion Week, but having watched that, I can say with a degree of certainty that platforms, mini-skirts, goosebumps, frostbite and gritted teeth are all very much in vogue this season. At least in the Netherlands anyways.

So, casting our minds back to last week, we had @faberfedor throwing a curve ball in the shape of the soundtrack to Ken Burns' documentary on Mark Twain, providing us with a quality slice of olde time acoustic finger-picked Sunday gentling. Many thanks to him for the selection, and for flipping the ice-edged LC frisbee across to @thejayarr for this week. Over to him for the intro....


I only ever had one album in mind for this week, which is strange considering it’s one that didn't exactly grab me by the lapels on first listen. In fact I think I’d probably had it sitting on my computer for about a year before I listened to it in its entirety.

I originally heard a song they put out on an earlier EP but didn't catch their name, and I couldn't find anything by googling the lyrics, so I spent months hoping that I'd come across them again somewhere. Eventually I got lucky and that happened, only to find that the track I'd liked so much wasn't really representative of the album (although that track is at the end of the record, seemingly included as an afterthought – to me, it feels a little incongruous when it eventually comes up), so it didn't really click for me straight away. I've learned to like it since then, though, and I hope others do as well. It’s kinda loud and fuzzy, and while not every track is perfect, I think there are more than enough impressive moments here to enjoy. Track 5 in particular is the one that made me give the whole thing another chance. 


Righty-ho! Download is here (Dropbox link) or speedy mirror from @akx here, or the Mixcloud stream is here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin!

Hope to see you at 8pm GMT!

No comments:

Post a Comment