Sunday 30 June 2013

The Listening Club - 30th June 2013

Greetings folks,

Well, finally a bit of summer worth shouting about in this bit of the world. So, before I head back out into the afternoon for beers and light debate over the quality of this year's Glastonbury showings, here's the drop for later...

First, natch, enormous thanks to all who chipped in and tuned in to last week's Summer Vortex! A splendid set of tunes was assembled and truly a splendid time was had by all, I think! Tracklisting and download are on last week's post if you missed it. "More vortexes!" (Vortecii?) seems to be the cry, so we'll be doing one a month from now on around the last week of the month. Feel free to pitch suggestions for topics and themes to the #LC massive and we'll go with the best ones!

Back to regularly scheduled programming, and @jonnydapigg is here, clutching the frisbee, to introduce this week's pick...

"When I told the wife that it was my pick again she had one suggestion, "don't make it poopy". Laura, obviously isn't a Deftones fan. So with that in mind I began scouring my collection, my mind fixating on various different breakbeat albums and mixes. I wanted something that was relevant to me now, something I'd been caning for a while. Then the Summer Vortex happened and coupled with the gig on the Friday where a man by the name of Robert Maseko had wowed everyone with his talents everything became clear. There was really only one choice. I got this album from a magical place many moons ago, you may remember these places, they were called record shops. It was either '93 or '94 and I was just really discovering the difference between good music and the shite that got played on the radio. This album (a cassette tape no less) stayed in my walkman for a summer and saying as we seem to be having some sort of summer now it's found it's way back out of the shade and is enjoying a new lease of life. Hopefully there's some fine sunsets/rises/shine for you all now and we can all join in the carnival atmosphere. 

p.s. Apologies for the one track format, as i said, i bought this on tape then borrowed the CD from a library and ripped it before i ever really knew what i was doing so have done a quick editing job on it as it was a bit quiet. plays lovely now."

There you go! Direct download is here, Mixcloud stream (which may well reveal the track titles, you have been warned!) is here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.

Hope to see you tonight at 8pm BST/EST (GMT+1)!

No comments:

Post a Comment