Sunday 12 October 2014

The Listening Club - 12th October 2014

Hey there,

@kleptones here, back again after wringing the last few drops out of the Summer in Brighton - Seriously, sun-kissed drinks on the beach in October? Veh nice. Mind you, B-town is now pretty much under water following a few days of hyper-torrential rain so looks like we got out of there just in time, Snowy, eh?

Couple of admin notes to, er, note - I'm away now last two weekends in November - Jim's not around for the first one either so as usual we need caretaker-managers to run the 23rd Nov and the whatever-it-ends-up-being vortex on the 30th Nov. So don't be shy, step up and help a brother out!

Speaking of vortexy things, I had another one of those kerrazy kleptone koncepts (no acronyms please) occur to me the other day, which I'd like to propose either for this or future times - An "Exquisite Corpse" Vortex (appropriate for Halloween? Maybe...)

Kind of inspired by @akx asking if he could submit his own mixtape the other week, I thought, well, "What if we all made a mixtape together? but twisted in a way that only #LC can do?"

So here's the proposal - Everyone that wants to participate lets me know, I put you all in a list, starting with me (cos I'm da boss, innit). I start by picking a tune, I send that tune to the next person on the list, they listen, and pick a tune that is linked to the previous one somehow, either in style, meaning, artist, whatever, etc.... and send it back to me the next day with the reason. I send that tune to the next person sans reason, they pick a tune to go with that one, etc.. etc... so we end up (hopefully) with an exquisite corpse of a mix, that might make some sense, or might go off on a million tangents.... you get me?

Anyhoo, pitching this now so folks have time to think and respond... if everyone's in favour I'll start collecting names for the list tonight - would love it if as many of you as possible can join in, even if you won't be around for the playback (26th Oct) - only proviso is that folks need to be able to respond in 24hrs, so we have time to get through it all without me having to do any hassling.

Okay. Last week, in my absence, Jim was running things, and @akx was in the chair, picking out Crystal Fighters "Star Of Love", which got some highly positive responses from you all. Big thanks to Aarni for the selection, and for flipping the frisbee across to @jonnydapigg for this week, and here he is...

"Rights then, not gonna say a massive amount here other than this would have been my last pick had the pesky world cup not been a distraction. 

This is one of those rare albums in my collection that wasn't a recommendation (I actually saw track five randomly on soundcloud and caned it). I draw comparisons to another album in my collection as the flow/style has a similar feel, be interesting if anyone else makes the same.

Hope you all enjoy,"

Reety ho, Direct download is here and the Mixcloud (doomy gloomy song title warning) link is here.

See you at 8pm BST!

No comments:

Post a Comment