Sunday 21 January 2018

The Listening Club - 21st January 2018

Greetings folks,

Hope you're good. Jetlag finally receding here in Amsterdam, which is most welcome, we've both had more than enough of passing out mid-way through the day. Dreams are still full of travel shenanigans though, which is grand. And many plans starting to poke their little heads above the soil, which is also grand. Festival plans are starting too, so if anyone fancies a Dutch trip this year, Down The Rabbit Hole at the end of June is boasting a very impressive line up for such a small festival...

Last week we rolled into 2018 with a coke-fuelled bang courtesy of @SimonLandmine's pick of Duran Duran's infamous 1995 covers album "Thank You". To which, personally, I had to say "No Thank You", but a few folks dug it, even resulting in a PPP (post-playback purchase). So wide our tastes, eh? Cheers to Simon for kickstarting the year, and for flipping the frisbo across to @RougeForever, who's here with this week's intro...

"The other week, we were considering doing a decade-themed vortex, and I sought to ban the 1990s, which I still maintain is a reasonable position.  I was determined therefore to pick something from that decade for my next LC choice, because, like Whitman, I contain multitudes.

My pick is a concept album. (A phrase designed to strike fear into the hearts of us all).  There were a few different albums I wanted to chose by this artist, (because there are several absolute CORKERS)  but I've gone for the shorter one, because Matt said that it was impolite to force people to listen to an album for over an hour.  So, if you hate this, you'll be glad to know you'll only be suffering 45 minutes.  

You'll also be pleased to know, pop, punk, folk, krautrock and good old rock&roll all collide in this one.  What's the worse thing that could happen in 45 minutes?   It'll be fun!    

And there's a special flavour of irony in here for those of you know what I do for a living.  Don't tell my employers I picked this one."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the HearThis stream is below...




See you at 8pm GMT!

No comments:

Post a Comment